Rod Stewart Memorial Chookies
Props to Jen for this recipe
Holy wow. These cookies are awesome AND VEGAN!!! Chocolate ginger cookies.
Servings: 2 dozen cookies
Prep: 40 minutes; Baking: 15 minutes
- 7 ounces best-quality semisweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) soy margarine
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 1/2 cup dark-brown sugar, packed
- 1/2 cup unsulfered light molasses
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- Line two baking sheets with parchment. Chop chocolate into 1/4-inch chunks; set aside. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer,fitted with the paddle attachment, beat margarine and grated ginger until whitened, about 4 minutes. Add brown sugar; beat until combined. Add molasses; beat until combined.
- n a small bowl, dissolve baking soda in 1 1/2 teaspoons boiling water. Beat half of flour mixture into margarine mixture. Beat in baking-soda mixture, then remaining half of flour mixture. Mix in chocolate; turn out onto a piece of plastic wrap. Pat dough out to about 1 inch thick; seal with wrap; refrigerate until firm, 2 hours or more.
- Heat oven to 325°. Roll dough into 1 1/2- inch balls; place 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Refrigerate 20 minutes. Roll in granulated sugar. Bake until the surfaces crack slightly, 10 to 12 minutes. Let cool 5 minutes; transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.